What is AiR ?
Artist in residence program invites artists for a time away from their usual environment and obligations to work on their own creative activities. Through open calls, Akiyoshidai International Art Village (AIAV) currently offers fully funded long-term program called “Residence Support Program”, and partly funded short-term program called “Fellowship Program” with which artists are encouraged to apply for outside funding resources.
Fellowship Program *Call is closed.
*Click here for more information.
“The AIAV Fellowship” is open to domestic and international artists working in various creative fields. The aim of the program is to support artists’ activities and to offer the local people in Yamaguchi pref. opportunities to appreciate arts and communicate with artists crossing the borders of art disciplines and nationalities. During the residency period, artists should actively communicate with local people in Yamaguchi and participate in the exchange programs, including workshops, lectures, school visits and exhibitions.
Maximum of 1 month
*Applicants should be applicable to one of the conditions below.
(1) Artists who have funding from international/national foundation or organization
(2) Artists who have previously stayed at AIAV for the residency program
(3) Artists who have a reference from international/national governmental, educational or cultural exchange foundations
(4) Artists with a reference from the Selection Committee of the Residence Program of Akiyoshidai International Art Village or the Steering Committee, (Advisory Council).
Support provided by AIAV
○ Studio and lodging, fee for usage of facilities
See 2015 Fellowship Artists >>here
Support Program (trans_) *Call is closed.
Support program “trans_2015-2016″: click HERE for details!
The prefix ‘trans’ means to go beyond, get across, cross, exchange, change and convert. The Residence Support Program provides a time and place for artists to experience new encounters and carry out experiments to guide their future projects.
Participating artists are expected to bring new ideas to the local culture and people while they, in turn, will hopefully acquire new perspectives through these fresh encounters. As a result of the residence program, the artists will convey their new experiences, gathered from the local lifestyle and our particular geographic situation, to their next destination. We hope that the residence program at Akiyoshidai International Art Village becomes a space for artists to go beyond cultural borders and expand their outlooks, exchange their unique understandings and establish relationships with fellow artists.
Mid January –mid March, every year
Open call period:
June-July, every year
A residency theme is decided by AIAV AiR selection committee.
○ Domestic and international artists under 40 years old
○ Artists who work on a project related to the residency theme.
○ Group of 2 artists may apply, but no larger.
Support provided by AIAV
○ Travel expense, studio and lodging, production expense, and stipend
*Click here for apply and information.
The World Artists Exhibition
15th Anniversary Project for AIAV’s Artist in Residence Program
The World Artists Exhibition presents artworks from artists who previously went through AIAV’s Artist in Residence Program as follows in Yamaguchi, Ube, and Nagato.
AIAV Virtual Museum
trans_2015-2016(program period: January-March 2016) PR video