“The AIAV Fellowship” is open to domestic and international artists working in various creative fields. The aim of the program is to support artists’ activities and to offer the local people in Yamaguchi pref. opportunities to appreciate arts and communicate with artists crossing the borders of art disciplines and nationalities. During the residency period, artists should actively communicate with local people in Yamaguchi and participate in the exchange programs, including workshops, lectures, school visits and exhibitions.
2016 AIAV Fellowship Program application guideline
1. Residency period
Maximum of 1 month during the period from 8th May to 16th July or from 24th August to 27th December 2016. (Except for 28th – 29th June and 4th – 6th November)
*Applicants should be applicable to one of the conditions below.
(1) Artists who have funding from international/national foundation or organization
(2) Artists who have previously stayed at AIAV for the residency program
(3) Artists who have a reference from international/national governmental, educational or cultural exchange foundations
(4) Artists with a reference from the Selection Committee of the Residence Program of Akiyoshidai International Art Village or the Steering Committee, (Advisory Council).
3. The costs covered by AIAV
(1) Fee for accommodation (private room)
(2) Fee for studio (We have various types of studios: the assignment is done by AIAV. The costs of studio for the exchange program covered by AIAV.)
(3) Fee for usage of facilities and for materials for exchange programs
*Artist should be responsible for travel, living, and production expenses.
(1) Artist should communicate in English or Japanese
(2) Artist should be supportive in providing materials for publicity and archiving
(3) Artist should participate in the exchange program for the local community (e.g. workshop, lecture and networking event).
(4) Artist should live and work at AIAV during his/her project period.
5. Application materials
(1) Completed application form. (Downloadable from http://aiav.jp/english/)
(2) Portfolio: Please choose option (A) or (B) below.
(A) Attach a URL of your video uploaded on the web.
Note: The duration of the video should be edited under 5 minutes.
(B) Submit up to 10 images of your work. (jpg, 72dpi, maximum dimension 1000px)
*Please label your images such as JaneDoe_01.jpg, JaneDoe_02.jpg… so that the number on your each file should correspond with the description sheet in the application form.
(3) Current CV(A4 or Letter size PDF up to 2 pages)
(4) Official certificate of funding (if you are applicable to 2-(1)
(5) Reference Letter (if you are applicable to 2-(3) or(4)
6. How to apply
All the materials should be sent to the email address below.
*Please put all the materials to 1 folder and compress as zip file.
*Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
*Submitted information is only used for selection and not for any other purpose.
March 31, 2016 (JST)
8. Date of decision and notification
April 15, 2016 (JST)
We will inform all applicants of the result by email.
Akiyoshidai International Art Village AiR Program
50 Akiyoshi, Shuho-cho, Mine-city, Yamaguchi 754-0511 JAPAN
TEL +81-(0)837-63-0020 FAX +81-(0)837-63-0021
e-mail: fellow2016(at)aiav.jp *(at)=@
Organized by Akiyoshidai International Art Village
Supported by Yamaguchi prefecture, Yamaguchi board of education, Mine city, Mine city board of education
･Location: 50 Akiyoshi, Shuho-cho, Mine-city, Yamaguchi, JAPAN
･Established: August 25,1998
･Main Building: concert hall, amphitheater, outdoor stage, 3 seminar rooms, 7 studios, gallery
･Residence Hall: 36 bedrooms, darkroom, salon, common kitchen, restaurant
*Further information on the facilities is provided on the website.
*Transportation during the residence period: rental car, bicycles or public transport (buses and trains).
*There is a restaurant at AIAV and a common kitchen.