Residence Support Program “trans_2019-2020” Application GuidelineAiR
The call is closed.
The prefix ‘trans’ means to go beyond, get across, cross, exchange, change and convert.
The Residence Support Program provides a time and place for artists to experience new encounters and carry out experiments to guide their future projects. Participating artists are expected to bring new ideas to the local culture and people while they, in turn, will hopefully acquire new perspectives through these fresh encounters. As a result of the residence program, the artists will convey their new experiences, gathered from the local lifestyle and our particular geographic situation, to their next destination. We hope that the residence program at Akiyoshidai International Art Village becomes a space for artists to go beyond cultural borders and expand their outlooks, exchange their unique understandings and establish relationships with fellow artists.
8 January(Wed)-12 March(Thu), 2020 ［65 days］
|8 Jan||Program 1st Day|
|26 Jan||Open Studio|
|29 Feb||Opening Reception|
|1 Mar-8 Mar||Exhibition|
|12 Mar||Program Last Day|
＊Lectures, workshops, and/or talks will be scheduled separately.
Numbers of Artists Accepted
- 2 artists (open to all nationalities), 40 years old or under (born on or after 2 April, 1979)
- Artists who work on the theme above.
- To communicate in English or Japanese.
- To stay at AIAV during the designated period of time.
- To participate in all pubic programs, e.g. open studio, opening reception, exhibition, etc., and to create new works.
- To participate in the exchange programs for local community, e.g. talks, lectures and outreach programs.
- To provide images and documentations, e.g. pictures and videos, for publicity and archiving in accordance with AIAV’s request.
- To work and live independently.
- To present the results of the residence program, e.g. exhibitions, reviews or talks outside Japan within a year after the program.
- Travel expenses: A one time round trip from your neighboring international airport to AIAV (Economy class air tickets for international flights, domestic flights and/or domestic railway tickets)
- Accommodation at AIAV (private room with bath/toilet)
- Studio (assignment will be arranged after due deliberation)
- Production expense: 200,000 yen
- Per diem: 2,800 yen x days of the program
Copyright and Publicity
- Artworks produced during the program belong to the artists.
- Images, taken during the program, e.g. photos of the artists and exhibition views, belong to AIAV.
- Artists are expected to be cooperative when photographed and asked to participate in publicity, e.g. for newspaper interviews.
- Artists may be asked to loan or donate their pieces of work.
- Artists should install and deinstall their work by themselves.
- Artists also have to pack their work and pay shipping costs if necessary.
- Artists are not allowed to be accompanied by anyone for the program. When their guests visit AIAV, they can stay at the cost approximately 3,080 yen /night (prices differ according to room types).
- Artists should use a common kitchen to prepare their own meals during their stay.
- Income tax will be imposed on those from the countries that do not have tax treaty with Japan.
How to Apply
- Application form can be downloaded here: Application Form（word） Application Form（PDF）
- Please submit your application with the following items.
- A. Completed application form with your profile picture
- B. Portfolio. Please choose either from the option ①or② below.
- ①10 still images(jpeg, 72dpi, maximum dimension 1000px)
- Please label your images such as (JaneDoe_01.jpg, JaneDoe_02jpg…) so that the number of each image corresponds with the number provided on the slide description sheet on the application form.
- ②Provide a link to a video uploaded on the website such as Youtube, Vimeo. You can only submit 1 video that is no longer than 5 minutes.
- C. Articles and reviews from catalogues, newspapers and magazines, if you have any (Should be submitted in PDF format, up to 3 articles)
＊We will accept entries only via email.
＊Submitted information will be only used for the selection for this residence program.
To Submit Your Entry
Send your entry via email:
＊Please put all the materials in 1 folder and compress as a zip file.
＊Please type subject line as “trans_2019-2020 Application”
Applications must be submitted on email no later than June 30 (Sun) 2019 (JST)
Selection and Results
Results will be announced in August 2019
*All applicants will be informed about the results on email.
Akiyoshidai International Art Village
Residence Support Program Staff
50 Akiyoshi Shuho-cho Mine-shi Yamaguchi 754-0511 JAPAN
TEL: + 81(0)837-63-0020 / FAX: +81(0)837-63-0021
Website: http://www.aiav.jp/ e-mail: air_aiav(at)aiav.jp *(at)=@
Akiyoshidai International Art Village (AIAV), designed by the architect, Arata Isozaki, was founded in 1998 with the aim of providing a platform for artists in residence as well as for a variety of art forms and cultural activities. AIAV’s main hall has a capacity of approximately 300 and its residence hall can house 100, and the village also features a restaurant, seminar room, studios, gallery, and café.
AIAV is located far away from the noise of everyday city life and is surrounded by natural resources. Isozaki himself referred to it as an “archipelago”, (an expanse of water with many scattered islands), and it consists of many different facilities. The term ‘village’ suggests that AIAV is not a one monolithic structure but rather a collective of small neighboring buildings reminiscent of a traditional Japanese village.
|Location||50 Akiyoshi, Shuho-cho, Mine-shi, Yamaguchi, 754-0511, JAPAN|
|Established||August 25, 1998|
|Main Building||Concert hall, amphitheatre, outdoor stage, 3 seminar rooms, 7 studios, gallery|
|Residence Hall||36 bedrooms, darkroom, salon, common kitchen, restaurant|
|Equipment||Stage equipment, sound equipment, musical instruments, darkroom equipment, easels, DIY hand tools|
Organized by Yamaguchi Kirameki Foundation, Akiyoshidai International Art Village
Supported by Yamaguchi prefecture, Yamaguchi board of education, Mine city, Mine city board of education
If you have any questions, we accept by phone or email.
Please feel free to contact us(except on closed days).
(Reception time: 9:00〜17:00) E-mail: